The New York State Board of Regents approved regulations establishing multiple, comparably rigorous assessment pathways to graduation for all students. Multiple pathways recognize the importance of engaging students in rigorous and relevant academic programs. The recently approved regulations recognize students’ interests in the Arts, Biliteracy, Career/Technical Education, Humanities and Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM) by allowing an approved pathway assessment to meet the students’ graduation requirements.
Links for Information
- Field Memo: Multiple Pathways to Graduation 4+1 Option (130 KB) (April 2015)
- Pathways to Graduation 4+1 Option Frequently Asked Questions (36 KB) (June 2016)
- Board of Regents Item, Proposed Amendments to Sections 100.2 and 100.5 of the Regulations of the Commissioner of Education Relating to Pathways to Graduation (338 KB) (January 2015)
- Presentation to the Board of Regents (419 KB) (October 2014)
- Multiple Pathways Press Conference (October 2014)
- New York State General Education & Diploma Requirements
Approved Assessments for the 4 + 1 Option
- Listing of Department Approved Alternative Assessments—Acceptable for Meeting Requirements for a Local or Regents Diploma (83 KB)
- Listing of Department Approved Technical Assessments (154 KB)
- Listing of Department Approved Arts Assessments (90 KB)
The New York State Education Department is currently accepting Applications for Consideration of Regents Alternatives in English, Mathematics, Science, and Social Studies. Pathways (i.e., “+1 option”) assessments in Career and Technical Education (CTE), Languages Other Than English (LOTE), and the Arts will also be accepted. See the Application Process for Consideration of Regents AlternativesApplication Process for Assessment Review (54 KB).
Questions & Information
Please contact email@example.com